Changes in format sees Wangaratta host female chopping in an event first

WEB Bryce Willoughby pe c6 20180123
HOT AND READY: North East Axeman Bryce Willoughby is ready to go on Saturday. PHOTOS: Emma Hillier

FOR the first time in its existence, Wangaratta Sports Carnival will feature a women’s division for wood chopping.

Four state and national level representative female wood choppers will descend upon Wangaratta Showgrounds on Saturday for the women’s underhand chop championship.

“There isn’t a lot of sole women’s events around so to be able to receive sponsorship to host one is great of the carnival,” North East Axemen’s Bryce Willoughby said.

“To have some of the best wood choppers in the state and country competing at Wangaratta will be great.”

The men’s division will follow a similar format to last year’s event, but two of the regular axemen on display in Laurence O’Toole and Brayden Meyer will be absent with representative commitments in New Zealand.

“It will still be a strong competition to win,” Willoughby said.


… to read the full story, click here to access the digital edition

  • Get your subscriptions

    Download subscription form
  • Home delivered

    Home delivered