PASSENGERS travelling by train from Melbourne to Albury line should get used to rail speed restrictions plaguing the journey.
And the State Government has laid the blame squarely at the feet of the Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC) and the Federal Government.
State Transport Minister Terry Mulder said the ARTC had failed to honor its commitment to remove the majority of speed restrictions on the line by June 30.
In addition to the ARTC train speed restrictions, V/Line has also imposed a maximum speed of 100 kilometres per hour for its passenger trains on the west line between
Seymour and Albury and on the east line between Benalla and Albury.
The decision comes as V/Line wants to minimise any damage to its locomotive-hauled carriages arising from track conditions on the Albury line.
When contacted by the Wangaratta Chronicle, the ARTC could not comment on a date for the removal of all speed restrictions, giving no indication to when all speed restrictions will be removed from the Melbourne to Sydney line, and could only comment on the work completed so far.
“While temporary speed restrictions remain in place on some sections of the line, we have been able to reduce a significant number of speed restrictions across the entire corridor with the works completed so far,” ARTC chief executive officer John Fullerton said.