A TRUCK driver is lucky to be alive after a persistent passer-by woke him from a deep sleep inside his burning vehicle last week.
Wangaratta’s Jade Stone had pulled over on the Murray Valley Highway at Bandiana on Friday afternoon for a couple of hours sleep before heading to Kiewa to reload his milk truck.
Sometime before 3pm an electrical fault between the cabin and the trailer sparked a fire that caused the cabin to fill with smoke, not that Mr Stone was aware what was happening.
“I knew nothing about it, I was sound asleep,” he told the Wangaratta Chronicle.
Luckily, Sam Constantino noticed the fire as he was driving past and pulled up beside the truck to beep his horn, then got out and thumped on the window, which finally woke Mr Stone.
“He said ‘mate, your truck’s on fire’,” Mr Stone said.
“I rolled over and opened my eyes and the whole truck was filled with smoke.”